TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Flip steering box?
Team Tetanus Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:57 pm

I want to flip my steering box and I can't find any reason not to. I want to cut out front tank support and flip steering box to align steering column and remove extreme angles on tie rods due to low ride height.

retterath Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:38 pm

It's past my bedtime, but I think that will reverse your steering. . .

Bashr52 Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:46 am

Why not just flip the tie rods?

Team Tetanus Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 pm

I plan on it if I can't flip entire steering box. I was think about this because it would align my steering column without using a bearing shaft.

VOLKSWAGNUT Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:02 am

retterath wrote: It's past my bedtime, but I think that will reverse your steering. . .

Yeah.. and Im up way too early.. but flipping the box ... still reverses the steering.

Hey.. you want a different car.. there ya go..

News at 11....

Could be a very exciting drive.... and theft deterrent..

:lol:

(Noteworthy advice be sure to ad a frame head BRACE)..

Modify the stock steering shaft and use a super beetle (or modern car) double U joint shaft and a lower bushing/bearing.

There are so many ways to adapt steering shafts.

I think you are simply trying to avoid a lower bearing????

Unless it has a self supporting column like a Super Beetle or uses a straight solid shaft it will need a lower bearing and shaft lock.

To support the lower shaft, I used 3 modified shaft lock collars. One in the column tube to support the shaft like a bushing, one locked on the shaft inside the tube to stop downward shaft movement, one locked on the shaft to stop upward shaft movement.
Added in a section of pipe and an intermediate steering shaft from a Pontiac G6.. and was done..

(hint I have more intermediate steering shafts that can be bought)

3 shaft lock collars cost me $18 bucks. The rest was just time..

My first trial mock up .. (now with some welds) .. Still going..

caleb0101 Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:23 am

Why don't you make a gearbox that bolts in between the coupler and the steering box that reverses the direction of the input from the steering wheel? All you need is a 1 to 1 ratio gearbox with an even number of gears in it and it would also make it so that the angle of the steering could wouldn't change without using a u joint