TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 68 Bug what do I need to get 17" wide 5 Brms on?
zodlaw Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 pm

I know I need to convert to wide five that much I do know. I also know they are et40. I really think this is the only wheel that will look good on my new ride or work in progress. I just sold my other pile and this was where it sat aired out. Tires were T 175/55/15 F 175/65/15 R

I guess my specific question is mainly dealing with the front beam. I had a 4" on my last car with dropped spindles etc. The Jackman racing wheels rubbed pretty good if you drove really low.

How narrow of a beam do I need to get these to fit with out rubbing?

I have long axles in the rear so I was going to use thing drums for the wide five swap. That should push out the rear a 1/4 an inch on each side.
Will I have issues with the rims hitting?

I do plan on doing air ride down the road but will prob run static till I get my stuff collected. The plan is a summer driver shows ect so not a daily.
Thanks for any info or help. :)

Chickensoup Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:17 pm

Hi all. I got a 65 beetle. Stock width beam. Stock transaxle. Stock drums.

2 questions,

What do I need to do to get a 17x7 brm to fix under the rear(dropped one outer spline right now),

And does anyone make a 17in brm that isn't 7 inches wide? Do they make 4.5-5.5? I looked but couldn't find any.

Thanks

Miklo Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:48 am

Chickensoup wrote: Hi all. I got a 65 beetle. Stock width beam. Stock transaxle. Stock drums.

2 questions,

What do I need to do to get a 17x7 brm to fix under the rear(dropped one outer spline right now),

And does anyone make a 17in brm that isn't 7 inches wide? Do they make 4.5-5.5? I looked but couldn't find any.

Thanks

A CNC machine and tig welder to modify 17x7 into 17x5.
Or just buy wider rear fenders.