TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mice in the rocker area
Wildthings Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Over the winter the mice chewed through the plug in the right footwell area and got into the passenger side rockers of my Thing. Not a big deal with getting rid of the mice, but I am sure they left behind nesting materials and body waste that are sure to cause the rockers to rust out in short order. I was just looking for ideas on how to clean their mess up with it being so inaccessible.

Thanks in advance

KAmes Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:08 am

I have a remote scope that I picked up at the local farm & fleet store, I'd be fishing that in there to see what's going on, then try to think what I could make with plastic tube and a vacuum. That's all I can think of at the moment, it's not an easy problem.

Edit: When I welded my rear clip on mice had gotten into the box part of the framing, took care of that by accidentally setting it on fire. I'm not suggesting you set your car on fire though.

vwwestyman Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:34 am

Don't those rockers have stations in them? I like the vacuum idea to get what you can.

I presume it's the urine you're worried about causing rust?

It might be crazy, but if there are drains, you could partially flood the area to dilute and rinse the urine away. Vinegar is supposed to neutralize other types of urine, so that might help. Do it on a nice hot sunny day, and follow with some wax rust preventer.