TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Interior "touch-up" on my 71 SB
Goldbug3318 Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:36 am

Hello Samba,

I decided to "touch up" my floor pans & carpet. Maybe the front seats as well (definitely the drivers as the seat bottom has a small tear). Back seats are great. Here are some pics of the starting point. I'll update as I work on the car on weekends. Hope you enjoy. I'll also document the products I use & comment on how good (or bad) the work.

Day 1:

Here is what I am planning to use on the floor:

Outside shot just for fun:

Mike

rogerpasadena Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 am

Great car
will be great to see the work you do

Goldbug3318 Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:57 am

rogerpasadena wrote: Great car
will be great to see the work you do
Thank you!!

wcfvw69 Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:09 am

A suggestion for you. Once you have everything removed from the floor, use a wire brush on a drill or hand and remove all the loose rust. Then, use Naval Jelly rust remover/neutralizer on the rusted areas. Let it soak for 30 minutes and scrub it in. If you do this a few times, you can remove all the rust. I used that product under the battery on my 67 bug. I had some decent surface rust under it. I used power tools to remove all the rust I could then did several applications of the Naval Jelly. It removed ALL the rust from the area. I then used an etch primer followed by several coats of Zero Rust. This repair should last for decades and it cost less than $20 bucks to do it all.

I'm not a fan of Por-15. I've used it before and it peeled up in sheets a couple of years later despite following the directions. There are other options to cover and seal that flat that are much cheaper and effective.

Goldbug3318 Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:50 am

wcfvw69 wrote: A suggestion for you. Once you have everything removed from the floor, use a wire brush on a drill or hand and remove all the loose rust. Then, use Naval Jelly rust remover/neutralizer on the rusted areas. Let it soak for 30 minutes and scrub it in. If you do this a few times, you can remove all the rust. I used that product under the battery on my 67 bug. I had some decent surface rust under it. I used power tools to remove all the rust I could then did several applications of the Naval Jelly. It removed ALL the rust from the area. I then used an etch primer followed by several coats of Zero Rust. This repair should last for decades and it cost less than $20 bucks to do it all.

I'm not a fan of Por-15. I've used it before and it peeled up in sheets a couple of years later despite following the directions. There are other options to cover and seal that flat that are much cheaper and effective.

Thank you for the recommendation sir!! I had planned on the wire brush with my drill, but had not thought of naval jelly. I definitely want to remove as much of the rust as possible before I coat it with any item. I also want it to be at quality as possible knowing that I will NOT be installing new floor boards. One side does have a patch, but it was well done with thick gauge steel & is solid.

Just like you I will take most my time on prep as I know that will make all the difference regardless of what I end up coating the floor with. The car sits outside with a good quality car cover, so it is somewhat at the mercy of the elements. Thank you for the recommendation on Zero Rust, I will look it up.

Mike

Goldbug3318 Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Ok folks BUSY Saturday. Woke up at 5:30am to beat the heat here in HOT FL. Here is a step by step with the semi-final product & what items I used.

First, safety, so gloves, goggles & a mask.

Then two types of drill attachments.

All old tar board & foam removed + vacuumed. Tough job, but worth it!!

Then cleaned it:

Then prepped it:

Left the metal prep on for 25 minutes as indicated!!

Then POR15:

I am very happy with the results!!! The carpet from TMI should be in this week & I am also re-upholstering the drivers front seat with new seat foam. Next is headliner "rejuvenation". I will post pics of that as well.

Goldbug3318 Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Next I also plan on top coating the POR15, sound deadening, felt cushion & finally new TMI premium carpet. I will post those pics as well.

So inspired I might go ahead & do the front section of the floors even though they are in very good shape, but this way the whole floor has been protected. I undercoating the bottom side a few weeks ago.

Mike

icelancer Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:02 pm

Looks like its coming along nicely. I did the same thing in my t3 and everything got coated in a not so fine layer of rust.
Are you going to use the peel and stick vent insulation for sound deadener?

Goldbug3318 Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:23 pm

icelancer wrote: Looks like its coming along nicely. I did the same thing in my t3 and everything got coated in a not so fine layer of rust.
Are you going to use the peel and stick vent insulation for sound deadener?

This is the stuff I'm using for a sound deadener:

I'm also using this for cushioning under the carpet:

I got both of these from VW Heritage.

Goldbug3318 Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:17 am

Ok came back from Atlanta from a business trip & got to work!! Here is what I did last night:
Sound deadening installed:

Felt & battery tray:

Carpet...finally!!

My driver front seat it as the upholster, so I cannot finish the interior this weekend, but that is the ONLY missing part!! I will clean up the headliner with a Meguair's vinyl & rubber cleaner/protector. Hopefully get my driver seat back mid-week & be done!! Can't wait!!

Mike

DAWGNME Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:34 am

Great Job!

Robert Haas Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:00 am

why not give the tunnel a similar treatment? It will respond to the coating and sound proofing too.

kryslaurelle Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:35 am

Looks good!

Goldbug3318 Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:02 am

Robert Haas wrote: why not give the tunnel a similar treatment? It will respond to the coating and sound proofing too.

Great minds think alike!! LOL. I had some left over sheets & since then have gone back & did the tunnel as well.

Mike

Goldbug3318 Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:03 am

DAWGNME wrote: Great Job!
Thank you!

Keithinky Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 am

Looking great. Nice work.

greenterbo Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:46 pm

What seat belts are you using? New retractable?