TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Protecting cleaned and blasted metal
Sofia74 Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 pm

I am looking for a way to protect metal - both the body and random pieces - after I either media blast the small parts or mechanically clean the larger parts.

Have to keep in mind this restoration will likely take a couple years so parts will sit in this coating for a while. And being WV, the parts will be stored in a relatively humid environment. I have a dehumidifier running but its an uphill battle…

I am leaning towards a metal prep (looking at one from Eastwood) and then a self-etching primer. I have read many opinions on a number of sites - epoxy versus self-etching. I am willing to regrind the coating prior to welding or body filler if that is important.

As always open to any opinions and recommendations.
Thanks,
Matt

SoCalJes Sat May 28, 2016 5:52 pm

I can tell you that etching primer is best for bare metal finish. I don't think there is anything else that will last months let alone years in a humidity.

scotty timmerman Sat May 28, 2016 10:39 pm

i used DP50 epoxy primer

Mellow Yellow 74 Sun May 29, 2016 2:02 am

in Australia we have a product called Bonderite M-ZN 253 (previously known as Kephos or Paintgrip 253). It is made by Henkel and is a solvent that you spray onto clean bare metal and it produces a thin coating that prevents rusting and you can paint over it.

I apply it using a household trigger spray after using another Henkel product called Bonderite C IC 624 (previously known as Deoxidine 624) which you apply using a scotchbrite to remove surface rust.

These exact product names don't seem to be sold in the US but Henkel do sell Bonderite solvents in the US so they should be able to tell you the US equivalent.

These are excellent products and are perfect for what you want it for.

kman Sun May 29, 2016 3:43 am

If it is indoors then the metal prep will be enough. But having used both I vastly prefer Ospho which is sold for $24 a gallon in my local ACE hardware. It is stronger and doesn't leave a brown color. turns bare steel a dull gray and light surface rust black. If you are really worried then a coat of epoxy primer will make it so you won't have a problem even 10 years later. Acid etch primer is not used too much anymore. mostly on just small areas. It will work, but I don't think it is your best solution.

Sofia74 Mon May 30, 2016 7:50 am

Thanks for the replies. The car will remain indoors so I'll start with the metal prep and see how that goes.
Since this will likely go slowly, the metal prep could give me opportunity to get a lot cleaned up and then epoxy prime more at once - maybe the whole body...

jason Tue May 31, 2016 7:42 pm

If you're gonna use a solvent, use etching primer. Epoxy doesnt like anything on the metal. If you do make sure to surgically clean it. A bit of heat will help, it releases the solvents. Best would be clean small area then epoxy. Its waterproof and you can put the filler on top.