TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What order to paint a full car?
Julio_Arcos123 Fri May 06, 2016 3:46 pm

So im going to be painting my car on monday, inside and out, so i was wondering what order i should paint it? The hood, decklid, and fenders are off. Still trying to find a place to hang the doors. So which should get painted first? I was thinking the inside with jambs first then roof then sides, then repeat? Any suggestions? Thanks

kman Sat May 07, 2016 2:50 am

So much crap gets blown around painting the inside that it's a really bad idea to try and paint the outside at the same time.

air-h2o-air Sat May 07, 2016 9:55 pm

it will also depend on the color and if metallic...many times you can not panel paint metallics, unless you are a pro....the metallic will lay different and can make the color look entirely different

Julio_Arcos123 Sun May 08, 2016 6:59 am

Its just a solid color (L380) so there wouldnt be any mettalic or shade difference

benchracer1 Sun May 08, 2016 7:08 am

definitely spray the inside and outside at different times. Also spend a few extra bucks and buy decent masking paper. Newspaper contains alot of lint....Steve

Julio_Arcos123 Mon May 09, 2016 6:32 pm

So i found i place to hang the doors. I vacuumed the inside of the door then placed some masking paper inside to prevent dirt lifting up. I painted the doors, decklid and hood off. I started started with the pieces first coated them all then eent to the body. I did the roof first, then rear quarter panels, rear apron, doorjambs, front quarters then front apron. Then i went inside and sprayed the dash and under it. I ran a tack cloth over it after it flsshed to get any dirt debris or dry paint, there wasnt much but just for safety. It came out pretty good. Only a run on the bottom end of the hood and near the door but nothing bad.

kman Wed May 11, 2016 4:22 am

Ah. I thought you meant engine bay, interior, stuff like that. Plus you have a proper booth which helps tons. Looks good.

Julio_Arcos123 Wed May 11, 2016 6:46 pm

I was going to spray engine bay and frunk but didnt have time to sand those areas