TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Foreign Concepts Roof Racks
6ghia9 Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:44 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Foreign Concepts roof racks? They claim that based on their design, their product has a significant wind noise reduction compared to other racks. If anyone has knowledge of this please share.

Also, I have a rag top and am curious to know if any rag top bug owners who have this rack have any clearance issues.

Thanks!

hitest Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Show us a picture or a link. It does not come up in searches of ads or galleries. If it has tubes and slats, it's a noisemaker.

I'm a rack fiend- had them on all my VWs for over 30 years. The claim of significantly less noise better be demonstrated with a DB meter at 35 mph. ANY time you stick a bunch of plumbing, with or without wood slats above your roof and drive forward- you are making hellish racket in a ragtop. I say prove it.

Also, if you have insects in your state, plan on the rack sending most of their half bodies raining down like dogs and cats- maybe some actual dogs and cats as well- especially in Greece.

6ghia9 Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:50 am

Here's their website address; www.foreignconceptsvw.com

Thanks for sharing - I'm in Northern CA and we don't get too many bugs but the idea of any bug raining down on me doesn't sound appealing.

hitest Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Thanks for the link- I had forgotten who they were. I've seen their racks- very nice.

I don't see any claims about reduced noise anywhere on their site. The only possible reduction might be in positioning that rack further aft in the gutters- using the windshield as a fairing a bit more(?). Even then I'd expect the car would have to going beyond beetle speeds to appreciate any reduced wind noise.

6ghia9 Mon May 02, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks hitest. Ya, they make a nice rack for sure.

I don't recall if I saw that claim on their website, an ad, or through a FaceBook posting or message - but I do recall it.

Never Convicted Wed May 11, 2016 12:51 pm

just recently installed one of these. Great step by step instructions too. They are very well made and didn't notice any too significant wind noise. I previously had Yakima surf racks installed so maybe I was used to it ? Sorry I can not help with clearance issues with regards to ragtops but I am sure if you contact him he could let you know. He sells at Pomona and seems very friendly.

Never Convicted Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 am

was at the Bug In this past weekend and it looks like it fits with rag tops ....

Antonio Trejo Sat May 06, 2017 10:29 pm

I have sold and shipped this afternarket roof rack for Beetle by request. Fair price-quality.

hitest Sat May 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Antonio- show that rack on a ragtop beetle- while clearing the ragtop when opening/closing. And show it looking good on a beetle.