TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Getting sideways with the VWoA management.
rugblaster Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 pm

I though of a funny story to illustrate how hot it gets here in the summertime. I was at the dealership working in what was referred to as the unit room. it was a segregated area of the shop. VWoA required the owners to build this area because the Germans had a certain way they wanted things done. They were real strict and always at odds with the owners about different things.

The room had a half wall surrounding it and a tool holding peg board with particular places for special tools and work benches and cabinets everywhere. One summer day I had a motor on a stand putting it together and it was so hot I had gone into the wash bay, took my work shirt off and hosed myself off with the hose the porters used to wash cars with. I took my work pants off and cut the legs off with a knife to make me some shorts. Then I remembered I had a straw cowboy hat out in my truck, so I ran and got the hat and soaked it in water and slapped that on my head. We have a stock farm, and I had done that before to keep a cooool head. I put one of those denim aprons on to keep clean, still no shirt, and started working on the motor again, water still dripping from my hat.

After a several minutes, I had that feeling of a presence watching me and I looked up and saw this West German dude named Karl Freund.....Can't get anymore German than that. Karl was the VWoA District Service Manager. I said, "Oh, Hi Karl !!" Karl looked me up and down and said, "Veir is your verk uniform?" I said, Man, it's hot back here, I had to cool off. I'm getting to where I can't think straight it is so hot." Karl said, You sink your at zee beach rodeo or some zing?" I said, "Well just give me a hand with this motor for a few minutes and I'll guarantee you you'll be coming out of that suit." He was dressed in a three piece suit. After some more conversation, Karl went to speak to the owners about some new air conditioners.