TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Beetle brake noise
gustn101 Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 pm

HI, I have a 2013 beetle with 36k miles on it.

It's been serviced on time, both in terms of time and mileage. After the 30k service, at around 35k, I noticed that my brakes started to squeal. The dealership ran diagnostics and replaced my rear brake pads.

1k miles later (now), I'm hearing similar noise, but worse.
I hear a high-pitched squeal when I press the brake, and as I come to a stop, I hear a metal-grinding noise. The squeal sort of sounds like a quiet horn, like a "doooooo" noise if you get it (I know....but I have no better way of describing it). At first I thought I heard something drain/flush as I stopped, but it was the metal-grinding noise.

The reasons why I haven't returned to the dealership is because:
1) It goes away after first few brakes.
2) It only happens when the car's been sitting in the lot for at least a few hours.
3) No indicators have turned on.
4) I'm out of warranty and I was just at the dealership a little over 1k ago.

Has anyone had similar problems? I was told I have the disc brakes. Could that have anything to do with this noise?

THANKS!

ps2375 Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Take it to a tire shop and have them inspect the brakes for the squeal. They may just need the caliper/pad mating surfaces cleaned and some new anti-squeal grease/glue.

mehran_mo Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:48 pm

if its continuously, perhaps the pads springs doesn't fit well and the pads are moving a bit or shaking in their place.
but if it goes after first several braking its related to the pads material, have to use pads grease to remove the noise.

Karmannut Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:30 am

Here's a really good place for all things for the water cooled beetle
http://newbeetle.org/forums/