TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Remember when? Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
TDCTDI Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:29 am

As I was stopped at a light, I realized that the new Honda Civic in front of me was larger than the Ford Taurus next to it. Remember when the Taurus was substantially bigger than the accord which was bigger than the civic? Hell, I remember when an ACVW was bigger than a civic.

TDCTDI Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:34 am

Remember when a civic from the 80s got better fuel economy than their current hybrid technology?

60ragtop Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:57 am

I remember when my 1970 rear engine water cooled Renault R-10 got 40 + with a carb :shock:

vdubyah73 Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:38 am

I had a 78 Datsun B210 that got 40+ mpg highway with a carb also. Five speed stick rear drive, that car was fun to drive.

Bill

Glenn Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:59 am

My 84 Accord 4 door was smaller than my 2001 Civic.

My 2003 Accord is larger than my 1999 Accord which is larger than my 84 Accord.

My 2001 Civic still gets 39mpg on the highway even though it has 255,000 miles on it. 15 years later they haven't improved it enough.

TDCTDI Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:06 am

All of the imports are guilty of it, I half expect the next generation of Subaru Foresters to be the size of a suburban.

vwracerdave Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:35 am

With cheap gas prices Americans are buying big car again. US Auto sales the last few months have proven Americans love big car.

Mike Fisher Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:08 pm

My RHD '67 Austin Mini panel 998cc would get 40+ mpg loaded down with documents,blue prints etc to be microfilmed + the 'fun factor'. :)

coad Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:00 pm

60ragtop wrote: I remember when my 1970 rear engine water cooled Renault R-10 got 40 + with a carb :shock:

Me too, but I also remember the rust was so bad I had to junk it before it was 10 years old. Not everything was better back then.

Fun car though.

enjoyther1de Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:10 pm

Remember when you didn't have a cell phone attached to your person 24/7? When you could go away for the weekend and actually be AWAY?

Zundfolge1432 Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:20 pm

This thread reminds me of the angry old man skit on Saturday Night Live.

TDCTDI Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Remember when the kid was both the TV remote & the antenna adjuster?

mark tucker Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm

I remember when I could remember...I think :shock: but nowdays I dont think so good as I recall.....so...does anybody remember what this was about? I miss the good old days...I think Ill go back some time for a visit...if I could only remember the address. :wink: I want my car back too!!!!

photogdave Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 pm

enjoyther1de wrote: Remember when you didn't have a cell phone attached to your person 24/7? When you could go away for the weekend and actually be AWAY?

That's still me. I have a rotary phone from the 40s attached to my wall 24/7.
The ring is so loud I can almost hear it when I'm away for the weekend! :lol:

cdennisg Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:35 pm

I walked into a Subaru dealer back in 2010 to help my dad pick up some parts. The new Outback on the showroom floor was HUGE! I could not grasp the reasoning behind it. Fuel prices were quite high then, and the window sticker claimed shitty fuel economy compared to any of my current old cars.

We are looking for a replacement for my wife's 95 Legacy wagon. It will likely be a slightly newer Impreza, which is similar in size to the old Legacy. I will not have one of those giant things in my driveway. Stupid.

The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive.

Enkiel Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:57 pm

cdennisg wrote: I walked into a Subaru dealer back in 2010 to help my dad pick up some parts. The new Outback on the showroom floor was HUGE! I could not grasp the reasoning behind it. Fuel prices were quite high then, and the window sticker claimed shitty fuel economy compared to any of my current old cars.

We are looking for a replacement for my wife's 95 Legacy wagon. It will likely be a slightly newer Impreza, which is similar in size to the old Legacy. I will not have one of those giant things in my driveway. Stupid.

The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive. Problem with subaru is not just the size, its the price as well...

My dad used to buy Subaru Loyal, which was the cheapest of the cheap, but was 4wd, and 4 door...

then we had as second car Justy(s). Best. Drift on Snow. Ever.

They dont make any of those anymore... when i look at their cheap car, its still wayy more than what other company offer. Sure its still 4wd, but its hard to justify spending 5000$ more for that and shitty fuel economy...

Bob Loblaw Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:00 pm

cdennisg wrote: The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive.

Not just the US market. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 1 owner '96 Tacoma 4x4. The new ones are huge in comparison. I think it's all the safety & electrical equipment. They have to put it somewhere. The Ol' Lady has an '07 Tacoma and I hate it. "A" pillars are massive with huge blind spots. Just too big. A Toyota 4x4 should have a tiny little back window, and 2 sticks on the floor.

Dwayne1m Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:02 pm

photogdave wrote:

That's still me. I have a rotary phone from the 40s attached to my wall 24/7.
The ring is so loud I can almost hear it when I'm away for the weekend! :lol:

Wow. I still have our old rotary phone in the attic and I showed it to my kids. They were baffled as to how to us it, and they couldn't grasp the "party line" idea either. 4 houses on 1 phone line back then. Try doing that today.

cdennisg Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Bob Loblaw wrote: cdennisg wrote: The same thing has happened with trucks. Nobody offers a "small" truck in the US market, and the full size trucks are absolutely huge. I drive a 77 Chevy heavy half with a big flatbed and lumber rack that is owned by my boss. Parked next to a newer offering from the big three, it looks almost diminutive.

Not just the US market. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 1 owner '96 Tacoma 4x4. The new ones are huge in comparison. I think it's all the safety & electrical equipment. They have to put it somewhere. The Ol' Lady has an '07 Tacoma and I hate it. "A" pillars are massive with huge blind spots. Just too big. A Toyota 4x4 should have a tiny little back window, and 2 sticks on the floor.

Yeah, I guess I should have said the "domestic market" or something like that. There still seem to be small truck offerings in other parts of the world, just not North America.

I understand the need to fulfill EPA and crash test requirements, but at what point do consumers actually get what they want?

I guess I'll keep driving my rusty 87 2wd Toyota with 244K. Nothing safe about it. Just like my buses.

60ragtop Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:48 pm

Dwayne1m wrote: I still have our old rotary phone in the attic
I have one in my basement and it is still hooked up and working :lol:

and those who feel tethered to their cell phones. It is your choice so quit whining :wink: