TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 912 Barn Find
daveyork427 Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:50 pm

Hello, I'm new here and am looking for advice. I came across a 67 912 in an old fallen down barn. The car was shrink wrapped but pack rats still got to it. Appears to have a VW engine. Seats are still in the box. Most body work seems done for the most part. However there is still plenty to do. Appears to have a fender kit that makes it look like a 911. I will post some pictures. I would like to know what I've came across here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx!

jt912 Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Can you post a picture of the top side of the motor?

daveyork427 Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:15 pm

I believe it's a Type 1

jt912 Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Diamond plate? Now I have seen it all. Certainly not a Porsche power plant. Looks like it should clean up nicely.

Steve F Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 am

Love the wheels! :P

Glenn Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:43 am

daveyork427 wrote: I believe it's a Type 1
And a bad one at that.

VWCOOL Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:04 pm

Good project! Hopefully you can replace those flared guards!

Restomod Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:29 am

Pressure washer and some glass and beat it like you stole it :lol:

fuscavw Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Cool find. Can you post pics of the motor mount/cross member? I'm faced with putting a type 1 engine in my 912.

Starbucket Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:54 pm

fuscavw wrote: Cool find. Can you post pics of the motor mount/cross member? I'm faced with putting a type 1 engine in my 912. You have to get a Type 1 Bus case motor or a universal as they are drilled for rear mount.
If you have your 912 rear mount it will be an easy adaption.

fuscavw Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:07 am

I was afraid of that. I'm missing the original rear mount and have a nice, bigger VW engine I would like to run. Now I'm faced with either making my own mount or building my own motor.

Starbucket Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:14 pm

fuscavw wrote: I was afraid of that. I'm missing the original rear mount and have a nice, bigger VW engine I would like to run. Now I'm faced with either making my own mount or building my own motor. They used to make an adaptor for non Bus mount motor to Bus. It was a plate that used the oil pump studs (I think they needed to be drilled & tapped 10mm & be longer) to mount the plate to the motor. The plate was U shaped to mount to the "Mustache Bar. His mount looks like it mounts to the oil sump bolts and oil pump (he shows part of it in his pic.s). I think a 68-71 Bus Mustache Bar will be your easiest adaption. If interested I will measure the center of mount holes between VW BUS and 912 Porsche Bar as I have both. Then you can try to find one to use.

fuscavw Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Starbucket wrote: fuscavw wrote: I was afraid of that. I'm missing the original rear mount and have a nice, bigger VW engine I would like to run. Now I'm faced with either making my own mount or building my own motor. They used to make an adaptor for non Bus mount motor to Bus. It was a plate that used the oil pump studs (I think they needed to be drilled & tapped 10mm & be longer) to mount the plate to the motor. The plate was U shaped to mount to the "Mustache Bar. His mount looks like it mounts to the oil sump bolts and oil pump (he shows part of it in his pic.s). I think a 68-71 Bus Mustache Bar will be your easiest adaption. If interested I will measure the center of mount holes between VW BUS and 912 Porsche Bar as I have both. Then you can try to find one to use.

I appreciate the offer. Looks like I might be drilling and tapping the bosses on my late type 1 case/engine and just bought an original 912 cross member off this site. I hope to adapt it to work with this engine.