TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Canyonland" Split Windows, story?
Staels Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:48 am

Hi,

I saved these pictures from a Facebook group a while back and am now trying to get the full story behind these.

I can't find the group that I got these from and it seems impossible to find the original source of these pictures. A long search on the internet didn't give me any more info or pictures.

All I know is that someone commented on FB that these were used for canyon tours many years ago.

Does anyone know the full story or have more pictures?

EverettB Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:47 pm

I don't know the story other than they were used to tour the area of Moab, UT back in the day.

I have this postcard:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=950618

I believe they still own most or all of them but they are in storage as you showed above.

I heard they were for sale years ago but you had to buy all of them - a big investment

Staels Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:40 am

EverettB wrote: I don't know the story other than they were used to tour the area of Moab, UT back in the day.

I have this postcard:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=950618

I believe they still own most or all of them but they are in storage as you showed above.

I heard they were for sale years ago but you had to buy all of them - a big investment

Awesome! Thanks for the picture!
That would be a big investment, but probably not a bad one if you have the cash.

Manfred58sc Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:57 pm

I remember seeing those in Moab back in the early 80's, I think they were still occasional service then. The plates were up to date anyway (I checked them over pretty close). I was/am a big Edward Abbey fan which lead me to the area before it got overrun with..whatever. They were rust free but lots of little dings/heavy wear. Amazing they have not hit the market.

tasb Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that if you do a site search for Moab or Canyonlands you will find lots of information/sittings of them here.

My wife and I did our honeymoon in the area back in... 1992 in search of Anasazi cliff dwellings. There was a bus parked out front of their storefront back then. I had known to look for them too so their were well known. Thee was also a guy just outside of Moab who had a VW only yard too.