TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: How far engine build before body
mr matt Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 pm

Just curious, does anyone have an idea as how soon the engine blocks were made prior to installing into the car? In other words, would you find a January 54 (by numbers) in a VW April 54 body? Just wonder how wide the span was .....

Thanks

Matt

L378 Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 pm

There really is no definitive answer, but yes, that would seem possible. Different parts at different times the lead time could be pretty long (say as much as 6 months maybe even a little more). There's a thread in the split bug forum on zwitter rims -some really long leads.

joe h. Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 pm

No, the engine should match the month of the body.

Btw, I'm looking for a Jan. '54 case if you ever have one for sale. :wink:

EverettB Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:46 pm

In terms of the engine # stamped on the generator stand, they are VERY close from what I have seen on original cars. The same week when I have checked the charts on this site.

If you mean the case dates that are cast into each case half, those are a little further off from what I have seen but not multiple months.

L378 Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:50 pm

my bad, don't know what I was thinking of (maybe the term block got me? transmission mount, dunno) - so yes, engine case should match the body (and chassis). BUT parts (such as rims, etc. could be several months off).

mr matt Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:54 pm

Thanks,

Have been looking for a July 55 block, have a few 36hp blocks here, but nothing that early. I also have an industrial 36hp block which has a blank face ( no numbers are punched) - can always make my own july block... but rather have an original for the month/year. Have no idea how I would accurately stamp it anyway...

Matt

EverettB Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:56 pm

L378 wrote: my bad, don't know what I was thinking of (maybe the term block got me? transmission mount, dunno) - so yes, engine case should match the body (and chassis). BUT parts (such as rims, etc. could be several months off).

Yes, a lot of electrical parts and the speedo, wheels, and other parts are often dated 1-3 months before.