TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who has a rain worthy convertible?
dubulup Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:12 am

I just install a German trunk seal (& drain tubes) and find the quality and fit to be outstanding! I've never driven in the rain or got stuck out in it...but I'd like to.

Just thought I'd ask.

crocteau Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:59 am

dubulup wrote: I've never driven in the rain or got stuck out in it...but I'd like to. Just thought I'd ask. Not sure why you'd like to drive in the rain; other drivers will have a harder time seeing you in a downpour, and you'll have to correct for changes in traction. But to answer your question, my '71 cabriolet is rain worthy.
Charley

danielsan Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 am

Mine is 98 percent rain worthy -- in a downpour the the rear window drain will get overwhelmed will start to drip and I've got one area on driver's door that seeps if parked in the rain. (to be fixed when an NOS rear convertible fender magically show up).

I doubt that these were 100 percent from the factory but you can get get close if you have a solid body, use high quality seals are really anal about gaps.

dubulup Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:41 pm

Poor choice of words... I would like I have my car in a parking lot, while at work, if an afternoon shower pops up.

danielsan Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:55 pm

My 71 convertible is a daily driver and it sits in an uncovered parking lot for 8 hours at time. Snow is more likely to get in than rain but both do get in -- but nothing that can't be hit with a towel. Can it be brought up to modern car standards? No. But I've been able to get it to 98 percent out. Took lots of work. Most of the water gets in in when I drag my wet feet around. I only use mats and not carpet in the winter.

Its actually easier to keep the rain out when the car isn't moving -- the drips only come when there is vacuum.

tisius Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:11 pm

- the expensive way to waterproof: get a new top, and new rubbers around.
- the cheap way: some gorilla duct tape here and there on strategic places, and a dry towel as a back up plan.

fingers crossed either way....