TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Plasti-Dip: New trend in temporary car finishes Page: 1, 2  Next
Pinetops Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:53 pm

I noticed this new trend and thought I'd share it here. It started with people painting their rims and now they are painting whole cars with this stuff.

Obviously it's not going to be a replacement for a quality paint job but this may be a good option for people saving up for a paint job but still want their car to look decent in the meantime or for those who want to temporarily change the color of their car.

It seems to be totally reversible as well. I guess the question is if it will react with old paint types. I imagine it very well may react with lacquer paint. Still pretty interesting nonetheless.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php

teuton Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Looks like just the thing for my Volvo 245.

Zach Thomas Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 am

It's more of an epidemic....it basically started with the younger car crowd (my generation, 16 year olds to guys in their 20s) spraying pieces of their car here and there and then all of a sudden plastidip is the new replacement for rattlecanned primed hondas. It has it's uses but I can't believe what some people use it for

lostinbaja Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:52 am

what kind of cost are we looking at to do a Beetle?

Pinetops Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:03 pm

lostinbaja wrote: what kind of cost are we looking at to do a Beetle?

If you go the the link above the the 'small vehicle kit' is $243 and that includes 2 gallons of material and the sprayer, tape, etc. The gallons are $59, some colors are more.

55reasons Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:21 pm

FWIW, this has been going on for many years.

My neighbors in Berlin, many of them, did this every year as a seasonal recoat before the winter. Aston Martins, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Bentley, you name it. Almost every high dollar car on my street got this done in Sept - Oct for the winter. They would peel it off in the spring.

Differences: Tape the inside of the body gaps with a cool little tape roller made to tape from the inside with an inverted "V" roller. No strange colors; usually just Grey or black. In 2011, the neighbor on the left found a clear version to put over his newest dark blue Bentley.

Those that didn't have their cars sprayed, had them vinyl coated. The difference is that it became apparent that the result was almost identical, but the vinyl "decal" coat was much more expensive and prone to bubbling.

JerryMCarter1 Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:06 pm

Wow-- It just peels off
No effect to the paint?

79SuperVert Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:45 am

I saw a car with that coating at a car show. The color the owner used looked like primer. Everything was painted. Chrome, bumpers, windshield wipers, everything. I didn't realize it wasn't regular paint. It looked weird, but the owner said that he did it to be able to drive it all winter, then it would peel off in the spring.

bluebus86 Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:12 am

...And for any moisture trapped under the "dip", what does it do to the cars paint, and metal? I'd be carefull about putting this over existing damage, or rust, unless you the areas are completely dried out. seems that if you can peel it off, it dont adhere well, which would mean water could enter at a nick in the "dip" and travel under the "dip" here it will sit until the dip is removed.

kind of like putting a non-breathable plastic tarp over a car, moisture gets between the tarp and the paint and then you have paint failure and rust.

not for me.

GtiKyle Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:46 am

I was bored, so i tried it:

vanilla_gorilla13 Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:36 am

i did my head light rings, turn signal covers, logo on the hood and trunk, front and back bumpers, door handles, locks and tail light bezels.

great product but use 5 light coats for best results !!!!

theastronaut Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:18 pm

I imagine that if your underlaying paint isn't 100% smooth you will have problems with it peeling off easily...

wisdom Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:29 am

looks pretty simple to me.

vanilla_gorilla13 Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

plati-dip'd my hubs today...

iWANTBUS Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Dipyourcar.com .... Now go crazy with it ! :D

DerrickfromNC1 Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Does anyone know if it can be applies over a primered surface or only a painted surface? Thinking about doing this to my wife's 67 bus after we get some body work done and when/if it comes time to peal it off I want to make su it does not stick to the primed surface.

Thanks

JabaDubRider Mon May 27, 2013 6:48 pm

DerrickfromNC1 wrote: Does anyone know if it can be applies over a primered surface or only a painted surface? Thinking about doing this to my wife's 67 bus after we get some body work done and when/if it comes time to peal it off I want to make su it does not stick to the primed surface.

Thanks

It can be applied over and non porous surface even bare metal. Just make sure it is really clean. At www.dipyourcar.com they sell everything. There is a prep cleaner that will get any surface up to par for Dipping.

patsbug66 Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:54 pm

Those light rings look good. I wanted to get a shiner black though, rather than matte. What should I use to get that effect?

pip hancox Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:37 pm

patsbug66 wrote: Those light rings look good. I wanted to get a shiner black though, rather than matte. What should I use to get that effect?

Plastidip Glossifier.

cat1pro Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:31 pm

Any body got pics of this done recently?