TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Surfboards and VW's Let's see yours! Page: 1, 2  Next
justcruzin Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:45 pm

I did a search for this topic and didn't find much. Funny thing is, I could have sworn I made a post a long time ago about carrying them? Can't even find that in a search, guess I'm searching for the wrong thing? Anyway, I would like to see and hear about your surfboards mounted to your VW. What ever VW you have.

I am just getting started in carrying surfboards on my VW's and am looking for a good mounting system. I am mainly going to carry them for displays, but do want to try my hand at paddle boarding, so eventually will be carrying my newly acquired board on my bus or my bug. Here are a couple pics of my VW's and my boards!

That dirty one at the far right is my first board I bought. I bought it down the street at a yard sale. We didn't have room in the car so I ended up walking it home. Kept asking the neighbors if they new where the ocean was? LOL

Same boards against my 64.

Bought this windsurf board at a swap meet for 5 bucks! Just the board, it is missing everything from sail to fins, but for 5 bucks I could easily make it a paddle board.

One of the boards just sitting on my bug. Still need to figure out brackets or straps to hold it on.

My newest board. Another windsurf board. This one has it's middle retractable fin, but is missing the other rear fin. This one will be my learner board as it is 11' long and about 2'3" wide.

Here it is on my bus rack. Again, I still need to figure out how to strap it down. I read in one of my searches about Dakine straps. I'm going to go look for some of those tomorrow. The poster that mentioned them said they can carry up to 4 boards with them. I would like to carry at least 2 for shows.

Another thing, how do you carry your board? Fins forward (at front of car) or fins backward (at back of car)? In that missing thread I was talking about above, a true surfer said the correct way to carry a board is fins forward.

Let's see what you have!!

Unclesalty Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:06 pm

I think this needs to go under the "Readers Rides" section. But....

This is my 67 bug with an old 70's Rip Curl 5'10" shortboard. I also have a Waldens Magic Model 8'6" board.

peaceful warrior Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:37 am

On the bus, I put plumbing pipe insulation on the cross bars and then bungeed them to the rack stands.
9'-0" Becker Tri Fin noserider, purchased in '01, 9'-6" Midget Farrelly pintail Tri Fin that I have ridden since 1990 when I gave up shortboards.

69 Squareback with the first and only Aloha racks I ever bought, still have them and they will be mounted on the 68 Westy soon using the Yakima fake gutters that mount to the sides of the poptop.

I have a set of DaKine soft racks for a in a pinch need. Don't like them as much as the old type since the strap goes thru the cab.

BTW, fins forward, Always!

Kelly Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:10 pm

man I searched all over for this thread...except in the general forum :lol:

This shot is from this past winter/spring timeframe...

We typically carry 3 SUPs, but usually on our other vehicles. Mostly due to me not wanting to leave my bus all alone while we're out paddling. The rack system is the Inno SUP/Kayak rack, it's a great system.

Here's a shot of one of our cars with the Inno rack in an advertisement photo:
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/orsracksdirect_2235_361804995

Kelly Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:26 pm

from back in the day ('87)
just a young buck..

drscope Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:26 am

Why would anyone take their classic VW close enough to the ocean to be attacted by that salty sea air?

VWKDF Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:37 am

drscope wrote: Why would anyone take their classic VW close enough to the ocean to be attacted by that salty sea air?

I currently have my Split, Oval and Oval vert stored one block from the beach. It's were the spare garage space is at the moment.
And in the summer, cruising Ocean Ave and checking out the bikinis is something I'm not giving up no matter what car I'm driving.

Dave24 Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:54 am

drscope wrote: Why would anyone take their classic VW close enough to the ocean to be attacted by that salty sea air? Because we enjoy actually driving and using our VWs... collect toys if you want to stare at something. Cars are meant to be driven, period. :?

slammed shady Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:00 pm

FEAZYWEAZY Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm

SkooobaSteve Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

First one was just using it as a prop.

The second picture was on a beach trip with my now wife. In my old 66 miss that pos car...

My long board chilling in the garage with my bus before i started working on it.

Kelly Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Dave24 wrote: drscope wrote: Why would anyone take their classic VW close enough to the ocean to be attacted by that salty sea air? Because we enjoy actually driving and using our VWs... collect toys if you want to stare at something. Cars are meant to be driven, period. :?

He's just mad because he lives in Maryland :lol:

sxuxrxf Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Fins, or single fin in this case, ALWAYS forward.
9'-8" Harbour, Cheater II.

How about a kayak?

webberjames95 Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 pm

Quote: How about a kayak?

Kayak? How about boat?

Surf board:

Kelly Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:54 am

webberjames95 wrote:

Is this in WA? Looks like a cool area.

Buscowboy Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:38 am

From a Euro surf trip a couple of years back. Good times

Aircooled Pilot Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:02 pm

I waited a long time to find something that would look right with my bus and was affordable. This was a great find for me I'm now trying to figure out my bars to put it on top but it's a 9'6" long board. I'm going to eventually restore the board but for now it can ride as it looks.

citroen Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:45 pm

I am to old to surf and I don't think the ohio river is a good place to surf but I keep a surf board and wear a Hawaiian shirt hey I drive a thing.

slammed shady Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:38 pm

Some more of my Split!

BuggyMeister Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm