TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New additions to the Sticky/FAQS topics needed
Glenn Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:56 am

If you know of any topics that should be included in the Sticky/FAQS topics at the top of each forum, please tell that forum's moderator so it can be reviewed and included.

Please provide the topic's link and any additional info you think is important.

Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. It also saves members from searching and jumping from topic to topic to get the info. it's "one stop shopping".

The Samba is only as good as we make it and we all need to help in making it better.

60ragtop Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:49 am

Glenn wrote: Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. .
Only works if you refer posters to it instead of adding to the clutter of beat up topics :wink:

lemke Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Glenn wrote: If you know of any topics that should be included in the Sticky/FAQS topics at the top of each forum, please tell that forum's moderator so it can be reviewed and included.

Many times the same questions get asked over and over and over again and being able to point someone to an existing topic will help reduce clutter on the site. It also saves members from searching and jumping from topic to topic to get the info. it's "one stop shopping".

The Samba is only as good as we make it and we all need to help in making it better.

PLEASE Glenn, this topic topic in the accessories forum – seems like at least once a week, someone posts an inquiry about the authenticity a KDF groundbreaking lapel pin.

EverettB Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:30 pm

lemke wrote: Glenn wrote: If you know of any topics that should be included in the Sticky/FAQS topics at the top of each forum, please tell that forum's moderator so it can be reviewed and included.

PLEASE Glenn, this topic topic in the accessories forum – seems like at least once a week, someone posts an inquiry about the authenticity a KDF groundbreaking lapel pin.

I made that into a Sticky so it's the official Badge thread

borninabus Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:44 pm

i have seen on other forums--yes i visit other forums--that they will have a whole forum dedicated to "introductions" or "post yourself" or whatever.
i don't know that we need a dedicated forum...maybe each forum could have it's own "intro" sticky.
another thing i was thinking is that each forum could have a "my first VW" or "i'm new to (model specific)" where you would find general info about VWs and your model in particular.
maybe just a title change/reorganization of the FAQ stickies that the forums already have?
IDK, just throwing out some ideas :)

the only other thing i can think of is for the vanagon & bay bus forums to have engine swap stickies.
i personally don't care for conversions. i like the cars (and their engines) the way they left the factory.
it seems like a place is needed for these folks to discuss their EJVorTDITec swaps.
there are currently 5 topics in the vanagon forum and one or two in the bay forum, i'm sure that deal with alternate powerplants.
it seems that the space these topics use could be better used for some threads on personal hygene or maybe some phish setlists or something :wink:

EverettB Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes, we don't have an intro forum or stickies but people often introduce themselves in a section and detail out their car to have a car thread.

I feel it's better this way so they can have a thread for their car too.

I don't have a problem with their being a swap Sticky but people want their own separate threads, this has come up in the past.

Spezialist Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:07 pm

I think a diagnostic flow chart for the various common problems would help.
They used to be a common feature in repair books, and it is a standard in understanding any problem.

EverettB Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:13 pm

I will gladly add it if someone has one for me to post.

sputnick60 Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:02 pm

I've got one.... A "Where to buy" sticky.
I've been getting PM'ed with questions about where to get Ghia cabriolet parts. Often the search for those parts has to extend beyond the US shore and many could benefit with direct links to suppliers at the far corners of the earth.

So I propose a simple list of vendors for the wider scope of parts we need, especially the more obscure parts. The main suppliers would be listed of course, but also the more niche suppliers like Gabkey, Belchteil, Rudi Huber, Kev Fergusson, Jerry Heldt and so forth. The most trusted ones of course. It would be a locked thread so the list can be kept orderly by the moderators and not grow to extend to numerous pages and be hard to use.
Nicholas

EverettB Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:22 pm

I wonder if it's best to have a specific thread for Ghia stuff

We have this ongoing Barndoor Bus thread, although it's not exactly what you are asking
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256430

sputnick60 Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:14 am

EverettB wrote: I wonder if it's best to have a specific thread for Ghia stuff

We have this ongoing Barndoor Bus thread, although it's not exactly what you are asking
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256430
You're probably correct. I should just start one up in the Ghia forum. I think there's a sticky with not much in it & bearing an almost ideal title. That might do the trick.

otherbeach Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:33 pm

I have been always curious why Barndoor Splits dont have their own "official good deal or official whines" thread...is it because they are already featured in regular Splits thread

EverettB Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:53 pm

Basically Yes and the amount of those ads are very small.

I would guess the prices/values might be more up for debate too, due to rarity