TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Emergency kit: parts, tools, misc. to pack? Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
oktr6r Wed May 28, 2008 8:09 pm

As I found out this weekend, spare pushrods and tubes should be in a spares kit, along with hose, clamps, wire ties, for temp. repairs.

Spares:

Pushrods and tubes
Hose, clamps, ties for patching tubes
Spare fan belt
Brake fluid
Oil
Fuses
Wire, various gauges
Electrical tape
Tire

Tools I've been carrying:

Hydraulic floor jack (In a kit w/ impact below)
12VDC electric impact
Sockets for above
Ball peen hammer
Socket set w/ ratchets and extensions
Screwdrivers
Pliers
Wire strippers

What spares and/or tools have you needed?

pafree Wed May 28, 2008 9:02 pm

after last time we went out for a big weekend. i added a couple of things.

alternator pulley and nut
i brought a spare clutch but forgot the centering pin and flywheel lock.
a box of extra nuts and bolts 10,13,17s
extra air filter for those dusty days.
heavy duty ratchet strap to hold the motor up when you blowout the nose cone mount.
WD 40

an extra dist. i have found it is easier to change the whole dist than just the point and condensor. timing lights.
extra coil

dirtkeeper Thu May 29, 2008 7:52 am

aluminum tape and aluminum foil and bailing wire.

On a trip across the country and canada once i found auto parts stores rare and far in between. with aluminum foil and bailing wire i was able to repair exhaust leaks and it would get me many miles before it would wear out.

i also carried along
xtra coil and some tie rod ends and a regulator and some of the items mentioned by others. ... and xtra keys

turboblue Thu May 29, 2008 8:37 am

Learned this tip from a buddy of mine.
Put a extra nut on every bolt that has the threads exposed.
Easy way to carry extras w/o the hassle of a container.

Dale M. Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 am

What brand "electric impact" and how would you rate it?

Dale

baja72 Thu May 29, 2008 9:58 am

Even if you have a winch, I would carry a come-a-long and a good tow strap. Don't forget about extra gas. I know that sounds like a DUH, but you never know what might happen.

turnaround89 Thu May 29, 2008 10:17 am

JB weld, comes in handy is some weird situations!!

runamoc Thu May 29, 2008 10:40 am

Can of 'Fix-a-Flat"

Fuel pump

Vise Grips...small to large size

Various springs to hold stuff on and throttle return

A 'Hammer Wrench', or whatever those things are called, for the rear axle nuts

A ratchet strap comes in handy for seating the beads on a tubeless tire that has lost all of it's air

Hose clamps...small to large

Crazy Glue

Ace Thu May 29, 2008 10:45 am

a coil of baling wire will save your butt too.

oktr6r Thu May 29, 2008 10:51 am

Dale M. wrote: What brand "electric impact" and how would you rate it?

Dale

AC Delco, from the local Oreilly's Auto Parts. It has more torque than my air impact. I've broke bolts loose with it that my air impact and a 1/2" break over wouldn't touch. The kit contains the impact with sockets for lug nuts and a 2 ton floor jack for $49.99.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id...rentPage=0

bajaherbie Thu May 29, 2008 11:01 am

cellphone...

seabeebuggy Thu May 29, 2008 4:06 pm

I have 500$ worth of parts in my kit. most of everything above and things like Jets for places the car may not like, carb rebuild kits. Oil hose to bypass a filter if busted. wire , duct tape, pulleys nuts bolts ,belts, fuel line, flares, lug nuts, hose clamps , oil,oil, oil. parts to remove oil slump if broke , compressor, Pushrods , pushrod tubes, rockers, extra valve and lock for each size, vacuum line, complete ignition 685, red lock tight, springs, plugs for brake line, extra brake line brake fluid, Ham radio, water, MRE's Flashlights, e blanket, 45 colt, ammo , ear plugs, first aid kit, Extra burn cream, Someone all ways needs it. cb radio, Rope, Chalks for tires, jack, fire, light bulbs, test light, Turbo parts, there is more. It all fits into a large ammo can.

2gr8dgs Thu May 29, 2008 8:18 pm

to add to the list, extra throttle cable, spare clutch cable. 12v tire inflator

Mr. Unpopular Fri May 30, 2008 10:12 am

Lets expand the topic a bit. Show us HOW you carry these items. As the owner of a Berrien warrior buggy, I need some tips on where to stuff all of this stuff :shock:

DesertBob Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 am

Here's a link to the Sticky on the Thing forum. It has lots of good info on what to carry that would be applicable to our Baja/Rail use.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=183148

bigpapakamen Fri May 30, 2008 12:52 pm

i cant believe that only one person put duck tape

duck tape
zip ties
high lift jack
come along/rachet strap/ chain at least one
a small tool box full of wrenches sockets ratchets
a flash lite
grease rags
beer

nukeworker Fri May 30, 2008 4:45 pm

Instead of a 12V air pump, I found a cool one at walmart that can be used by hand or stepping on a foot pedal. Less than 10 bucks plus if the battery is low or dead, I can still use it. If the battery is dead, and you're on a hill, you can still roll start.

seabeebuggy Fri May 30, 2008 4:56 pm

old photo but everything is on top.

[img][/img]

end view.

baja kid Fri May 30, 2008 5:06 pm

bajaherbie wrote: cellphone...

:lol: thats all one really needs and of course racer tape also know as duct tape but it just sounds way cooler haha

cr250250r Fri May 30, 2008 7:35 pm

I always have a first aid kit. Just put alot of extra asprin for hangovers. People don't know how hung over they are until they hear something loud.