TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rotisserie Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
MICHANICAL™ Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Build @ your own risk. I Michael Allen of the Studio 3 Project, assume zero responsibility to these plans, rotisserie and all person's using them. I have donated my ideas and time for free to aid in the restoration of projects. Please apply common sense when building this contraption, and Safety first!

I built this from $50. in scrap materials. I estimate new material cost @ $300. This design was ideal for transporting use. Other rotisseries may be more appropriate for in place rotation. My design is simple and builder friendly. Take your time and study the plans. You will need a welder, welding mask, 1/2 drill, 1/2 inch drill bit, chop saw or cutting devise, tape measure, thick leather gloves, safety goggles and possibly a calculator.

Step one: Build a 30 degree jig out of 2 x 2 angle iron; Weld the two 23 inch angle iron sections (long point to long point) with 15 degree cuts @ a perfect 30 degree angle. To verify true degree reference length of A sq. + B sq. = C squared.

Step two: Cut your 0.23622047 decimal inch wall thickness 2" x 2" tubing @ 15 degree cuts to length. Mark all lengths, 21 inches and 23 inches. (Please see foot note). Pair the correct to plans sections in two, double check and make minor adjustments if needed. Break the rotisserie into a top and bottom, each should share parallels angles and one side. Using Jig, weld pairs, then weld pairs together. Now you have a complete multigon making a 360 degree circle, I.E. 12 30 degree angles make 360 degree multigon. Repeat this step for second multigon.

Step three: Cut your multigon "B" to a top and bottom, note location to plans. Insert "b" solid stock in bottom half and weld in place @ all four locations. Slide top half of multigon back in place and drill out a hole for a holding pin. Remove top half.

Step four: Weld "A" in place. Note "a" (receives a 2 inch x 2 inch tubing)

Step five: Make your mounting bracket arms and plates. Mount the plate's (flat 1/2" steel plate) in place  on your vehicle, and get ready for some muscle work. Slide the arms in place on the multigon. Raise the vehicle to center point of gravity. Raise the bottom half multigon with all in place, steady the bottom half w/ tack welded temporary stabilizer. Weld the arms "C & D" to the 1/2 plate that is bolted on your bus. Note: the bracket arms should be removable from the "A" pockets. Note: "c & d" were designed for barndoor bus, when building rotisserie for non barndoor; mount plates in place and correct the dimension width on arms prior to welding. Allow 1/2 inch of total play.

Step six: Build a safety bar. See jpg. This is very important. You don't want the bus rolling back on your ass or squashing your precious hands! Please note safety bar jpg. Use this bar.

Step seven: Lift the top half's of the multigon's in place and safety pin. Roll that bus over, safety bar the position and fix that nasty rust to factory standards. If its worth doing, do it right!

Foot note: 21 and 23 inch length's can all be changed to 23 inches. This will simplify the layout but make the overall height taller and you should consider the height of your garage opening prior to making this change.

Michael Allen
www.theStudio3Project.com

Rotisserie #2
Plans by sgellis later in this thread.
Post with photos:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8252247#8252247
Link to PDF:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bus_rotisserie/VWBus_Rotisserie.pdf

Rotisserie #3
By user aeLiXihr
Post with photos:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8941620#8941620
DXF Autocad file:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/bus_rotisserie/kantelraam.dxf

combiwagon1969 Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:32 am

Hi. first of all I have to say MUCH RESPECT for this one.

First class, really. Now, do you have any more pictures, dimensions etc. the info that you have given, while good, is a bit hard to follow so any extra pics and stuff would be handy.

Bugs'n'Pugs Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:47 am

Would something similar to this work on a Beetle or a Super Beetle?

thom Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:26 am

Bugs'n'Pugs wrote: Would something similar to this work on a Beetle or a Super Beetle?

In theory, yes. Just make the whole thing smaller, and change the mounting points accordingly.

The Sage Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:33 am

thom wrote: Bugs'n'Pugs wrote: Would something similar to this work on a Beetle or a Super Beetle?

In theory, yes. Just make the whole thing smaller, and change the mounting points accordingly.

Russ and I were discussing this, the mounting points would be very similar..

You could make an adjustable version to use on both models, but honestly, with the pan / body of a bug, you really don't need this.

Volksparts Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:39 am

Maybe I am easily impressed but that is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. Thanks for posting the schematics.

NOS PARTS Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm

here some interesting ones;

this last 1 I like more!

crukab Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:28 pm

NOS PARTS wrote: here some interesting ones;

Hey, thats my truck ! :D

Here is a shot of the plates & arms I made to attach to the front end, you also can see the extra wheels added, to lower the rig down a few inches.

The best part is it works with a 8 foot ceiling, in basicly 1 garage bay.
I like the one that Michael posted, But don't have that much space.

thom Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:35 pm

thom Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:36 pm

LiquiTilter
http://www.liqui-tilter.com/

candyman Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:30 pm

this is all bad ass!!! i gotta build one of these

candyman Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:32 pm

crukab wrote: NOS PARTS wrote: here some interesting ones;

Hey, thats my truck ! :D

Here is a shot of the plates & arms I made to attach to the front end, you also can see the extra wheels added, to lower the rig down a few inches.

The best part is it works with a 8 foot ceiling, in basicly 1 garage bay.
I like the one that Michael posted, But don't have that much space.

from the looks of it crucab, you bottom needs it :lol: love that vermont salt. mmmm salt crusted crucab :wink:

UZI Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:20 pm

crukab Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:51 am

UZI wrote:

Is that Jdots Rotisserie ?

jeremyrockjock Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:32 pm

I like mine.

bubblehead Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:28 pm

Jeremy
Could you post some more detailed pictures of your setup? I've been considering going the engine hoist route for a while. I see those things for sale cheap all the time and its similar to the ready made rotisseries out there.
Crukabs setup is really cool, just more coin than I want to spend. I also like the other one pictured above, with the two 45's that put it at a ninety.
In my opinion probably the cheapest, most effective setup.

Mr. Bubblehead Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:56 pm

Jeremy are you putting that swingaxle in the bay??!!?

j.pickens Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:47 pm

crukab wrote:
Is that Jdots Rotisserie ?
yes

jeremyrockjock Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm

LOL the swing axle is for a 67 deluxe belonging to my friend.

The rotisserie is scratch built from old wheelchair lift parts and box tubing. They look like engine stands but are much bigger.

Nic B-C Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:20 am

Liking these but always wondered how you lift both ends on a rotiserie to get high enough to roll and also what controls the roll speed.

Any help would be grateful please as got several vehicles here which need chassis sorting plus im considering getting a sandblasting machine as well

Cheers